If you are familiar with the Asian community cuisines, you probably know that steaming is a common method of cooking for them. Not only is it easy to prepare food by steaming method but also healthy.
This is because you don’t need other additives like fat and oils.
- AUTHENTIC ASIAN COOKING: Create Healthy Chinese Cuisine at Home.
- MULTI-USE: Ideal for Steaming Vegetables, Rice, Fish, Dim Sum.
- NATURALLY WOVEN BAMBOO: Retain Moisture, Nutrients, Color, and Flavor.
Besides the steamed food is sure to retain the taste and flavours because the steaming method of cooking is a gentler and healthier way to cook.
The bamboo steamer is a cookware that from the name is made from bamboo.
It normally consists of layers or trays with perforated bottoms. Steamers are designed in a way that positions the food above the water and not inside the water.
I don’t know whether you need to steam a batch of dumplings or just your vegetables to maintain the nutrients, bamboo steamer is your best bet. If you dare use one, you will want to cook every little thing in it.
HOW TO USE IT
You can use Bamboo Steamers to make many recipes. Here are some of my favorite recipes.
- Before you begin using it, brush the steamer clean then rinse it thoroughly. After use, brush the steamer with warm water to remove excess fats and other food particles then allow it to dry up. Ensure you don’t use strongly perfumed soaps.
- Place your food in your paper lined steamer tray then cover it with the lid. However, if you are cooking things like fish ensure you place it in a bowl or plate to maintain the juices. Ensure the food isn’t filled to the brim.
- Cover your food properly to maintain the steam as you cook.
- Place enough water in a pan or wok to let the basket bottom rim rest on the water surface thereby maintaining the heat. Always make sure the water doesn’t boil into the food.
- Steam in medium to high heat then keep adding water to avoid complete drying of the water in the wok and ultimately food drying.
- Once your food is properly steamed turn it off. Remove the lid away from your face then let the steam escape for a few seconds. Transfer the food to the platter then serve.
THE TOP 10 BEST BAMBOO STEAMERS
1. JOYCE CHEN 3-PIECE 10-INCH BAMBOO STEAMER (26-0013)
This is a Chinese cookware. The 2-tier bamboo steamer is 10 inches in width to steam a large amount of food in a short time. You can cook your food gently in layers from dim sum to vegetables and fish. When you cook your food, you are sure to maintain a healthy colour, crispiness and flavour.
Typically, bamboo steamers are used to cook the Chinese dim sum, although, their design makes them suitable for all types of food. Use a wok that is 2” wider than 10 baskets. One uses a wok for the steaming process.
- It is easy to use and clean after use.
- It has a sturdy structure
- It is durable and ensures your food maintain the flavours and nutrients.
- With time its sides begin to peel off.
2. VONSHEF BAMBOO STEAMER SET
This is yet another authentic Asian cookware which you can use to steam your dim sum, rice, fish and vegetable. This is a naturally woven bamboo steamer that retains the color, nutrients and texture of your food. If you love to add a Chinese feel to your meals then this is your best bet.
You can use it with a wok, pan or stockpot by placing water in the pan and then placing the steamer in the wok with hot water. It is made of natural bamboo wood making it sturdy and water resistant and thereby suitable for the cooking process.
If you love maintaining your texture, nutrients and color, this method of cooking ensures you retain all the flavour and nutrients, especially when using a Vonshef. Like the above steamer, it is a 2-tier steamer.
It is a well built and sturdy item that retains the steam in the steamer. Furthermore, it has some extra white parchments papers. As you can see, the 10-inch steamer has stainless steel rings to help prevent the pot from burning the steamer as well as retain the moisture in the steamer.
It is made of water resistant bamboo wood
It is the best for cooking your traditional Asian dumplings
It comes with chopsticks
The bamboo weave on the lid is said to come off sooner than you expect.
3. JUVALE BAMBOO STEAMER WITH STEEL RINGS
If you love healthy meals then steamed food using this steamer will be the best idea for you. For the reheating process of your meat, veggies, rice and pasta. It is a naturally woven bamboo and made sturdy.
You can cook various items at the same time in the stackable trays. The stainless-steel rings help you to trap the moisture and thereby heating the food using the steamer. You can rest assured that the construction is of high quality.
- It has a sturdy construction
- You can use it to reheat your food
- The moisture is bound to be retained within because of the stainless-steel rings.
- You have to handle and wash with care to avoid peeling off.
4. ZOIE + CHLOE 100% NATURAL BAMBOO STEAMER BASKET
If you love eco friendly cookware, this is your best bet. It comes with 2 pieces of reusable cotton liners instead of paper liners. It is made of organic materials (100% bamboo that contains no metals or wires) which are sturdy in nature. Furthermore, the steamer is durable and sustainable. With this steamer, you can cook anything and everything by ensuring you cover it properly and retain the steam.
Ensure you use it over a normal saucepan then trap the heat in the bamboo steamer by using the doomed lid. This will help you have a quick cooking process. In addition, the 2-tier steamer has enough space for you to cook up to 2 types of food at the same time.
- It is readily affordable for most people.
- It is easy to clean in a dish washer.
- Perfect for making your fish, steamed rolls, vegetable, dumplings and rice stuffs.
- You can use this in your instant pot and it will work just fine.
- The food you cook may taste like wood because the material used to make it seem to leak in the food.
5. COOK PRO ASIAN BAMBOO STEAMER WITH LID, 8″, WOODEN
As opposed to the others above, this is an 8-inch bamboo steamer. If you love the traditional Chinese cooking methods this steamer will give you that feeling. Since most cookware today are eco-friendly, this is another type of eco-friendly cookware. The bamboo that makes it is 100% natural and there are no additional metals.
This makes the food more natural without additional extracts and tastes of metal. It has one layer which delivers the high steaming power for most kinds of food. It is suitable for cooking rice, dim sum, vegetables, meat and fish. You don’t need to add extra fat and oil during the cooking process.
It has a perfectly removable lid that helps to retain the steam within the steamer when you are cooking.
- It is durable.
- It is easy to use and cheap in the market.
- It comes with a base frame to give it a sturdy and quality construction.
- Easy to wash by hand.
- It is small and suitable for one who uses it for just small amounts of food.
6. HELEN CHEN’S ASIAN KITCHEN BAMBOO STEAMER, 10-INCH
This is a steamer that represents the Hellen Chen company for all of their quality products. If you love Chinese food in America you probably know about this company that makes some top-quality kitchen ware in the market.
If you are looking for sturdy construction and water-resistant material then this is for you. It is made of 100% bamboo wood that is tightly woven. Since it is a 2-tier steamer, it allows you to cook 2 styles of cuisines thereby saving you time.
In addition, you can purchase a steel ring fastener for secure cooking. The lid is tightly fitted, it traps the steam and cook any kind of food you wish to cook.
- It’s durable and strong in construction.
- It is rust free since it has no metals used to make it.
- It helps retain the heat of the food.
- Some people complain that it falls off the rings sooner than expected
7. SKÖN PREMIUM BAMBOO STEAMER + BONUS 2 PAIRS CHOPSTICKS + PERFORATED LINERS
If you would love to enjoy the authentic Chinese cuisine at the comfort of your home, this steamer is your other choice. It will give you high quality steamed food. The 2-tier steamer will help you multi task by cooking more food at the same time.
Unlike other steamers, it is lined with premium stainless steel to help you retain the heat and flavours within the steamer. You won’t have to think twice if you wish to cook your buns and the dim sum at the same time.
The natural bamboo wood is 100% organic making it high in quality. It is sturdy and durable, waterproof and fortified ensuring it retains moisture.
- For your healthy Asian cooking, go for this steamer.
- The SKON company offers you a 100 % money back guarantee which means it is a good product.
- It has a quality construction.
- Peels off after a few times of usage and washing.
8. 10-INCH SOVEREIGN GEAR BAMBOO STEAMER SET 2 TIER LARGE BAMBOO STEAMER BASKET
This is a visual-appealing bamboo steamer of excellent quality. The brass coloured gold banded steamer will give you the authenticity when cooking your Asian dishes. Whether you want to cook rice, fish meat, vegetables, dim sum and more this will give you the superior outcome.
I must say, this steamer has one of the best designs. Its brass coloured stainless-steel bands enhance the steamer’s durability and stability. The tightly woven bamboo woods are water resistant in nature.
It has extras like 3 by 4” mini steamers for smaller items. For your Thai or Chinese food use the liners before placing the food in the 10” steamers. Use your chopsticks to enjoy the meals you made.
- It is easy to clean.
- It is durable and stable.
- It has a quality design.
- May peel off quicker than expected.
9. FLEXZION BAMBOO STEAMER BASKET SET (10 INCH) WITH STAINLESS STEEL BANDING 50X STEAMER LINERS AND 2 PAIRS OF CHOPSTICKS
The flexion bamboo steamer is a 2-tier bamboo design that comes with 2 pairs of chop sticks. The bamboo wood makes the steamer sturdy and durable. Furthermore, it is water resistant in nature. To keep the steam and flavour within the steamer as the food cooks, the cookware has stainless steel rings. On top of that, the fitted doom shaped lid helps retain the moisture within the steamer as well as the favor, color and nutrients.
Your item comes with 50 extra steamer liners and 2 chopsticks to ease your cooking and eating process. It is used over the wok or stockpot. For your authentic Chinese dishes, go for this make.
- It is sturdy and durable make.
- The stainless-steel rim ensures you retain the food’s moisture, color and flavor.
- The free parchment paper is not the best because it sticks on the food or bamboo steamer.
10. NEW LARGE 12-INCH BAMBOO STEAMER 2-TIER
This Chinese design bamboo steamer is authentically handmade. It is made from 100% natural bamboo wood. To retain the steam within the bamboo steamer it has a double woven lid. It has a high bottom which keeps the vegetable higher away from the water in the wok or saucepan.
Furthermore, it comes with a 2-level bamboo lid. It is ideal for cooking dim sum, Mexican tortillas, seafood and veggies.
- It is large enough for your large quantities of food.
- It is sturdy and durable.
- It is cheap.
- The size is suitable for large capacity food palaces like restaurants.
If living healthy is your thing, you should buy one of the above steamers. This is because all the above products are eco-friendly and easy to use.
The steaming method of cooking as earlier discussed is the best method because you retain the flavor, color and nutrients of your food. In addition, you don’t have to add fats and oils which may lead to increase in cholesterol level among other health hazards.
My best choice amongst the above is a Premium 2 Tier Bamboo Steamer. This is because of its sturdy structural construction and affordability. This is an item that is beautifully designed and is sure to serve you over a long period of time.