When you enter your kitchen to prepare that sumptuous meal, the first cookware you probably reach for is a knife. Unfortunately, most of the time kitchen knives are not properly stored making it tedious to find.
I know you are probably asking why do I need a knife block? By the way, did you know that knives that are not properly stored are often easily damaged and can cause unprecedented accidents from cuts?
- 20 UNIVERSAL SLOTS: Our knife blocks hold up to 19 knives with an extra slot for scissors or a sharpening rod; please note you will receive...
- WIDE ANGLED OPENINGS: The horizontal slots put less wear on the blades and are angled with a wider opening for easier handling and to fit...
- DURABLE & LONG LASTING: This wooden knife block is strong and sturdy to hold heavy knife sets and is finished with a beautiful bamboo veneer...
Most of those improperly stored knives are usually kept in drawers which are not only easily accessed by kids but also makes knives hard to find because they are mixed among other cutlery which means you often take time in search of the appropriate knife.
Top Five Best Knife Blocks
Knife block styles and attributes
If space in your kitchen is a limited factor, you may want to consider having knife blocks that can be laid flat in your drawers or better yet those that can be mounted on your walls.
Most of us are guilty of storing wet/damp utensils and cutlery most of the time which means the cutlery drains the water into the drawers, kitchen cabinets, knife blocks among others.
What we don’t realise is that this may end up destroying the storage places as well as the utensils and cutlery, more so, it may cause bacteria build up. If you are guilty of this, consider using bamboo knife block, it is less porous and cannot allow the seeping in of more bacteria carried by the knife from its cutting boards.
A transparent knife block is also the best for chefs with various knife sets, this reduces the tendency to pick the wrong knife because one can see what they are taking.
Knife safety rules
It is important to clean and dry of the microscopic pieces of metal that may remain after sharpening your knife, because if you use it directly then you are sure to infiltrate the metal pieces into your food.
Do not leave your knives with food residue over a period of time as this may cause rusting and knife corrosion thereby weakening the blade.
Never leave your knife in a sink full of utensils or water. Someone can easily get cut when they insert their hands in the sink.
How do you choose the best knife block?
There are many knife blocks in the market but before you choose it consider understanding the kind of knives you have in your kitchen.
Below is a list of the most common knives in any kitchen
- Chef’s knife; it is used for cutting, slicing and chopping vegetable and meat. It usually has a blade length of 6-14inches.
- Bread knife; it’s a serrated type that slices bread perfectly without crushing. Its blade is usually 6-10inches.
- Carving knife; is a slightly thinner than a chef’s knife used to slice meat. Its blade is 8-15 inches.
- Utility knife; it’s good for small jobs in the kitchen like vegetable, fruits and sandwich meat cutting. Its blade is between 4-7 inches.
- Steak knife; a sharp knife with either plain or serrated cutting edge. Its blade is usually 8-9 inches.
- Paring knife; a small knife used for peeling, seeds removal and cutting garnishes. It is usually between 2-4 inches long.
Once you know the kinds of knives you have you will be able to know the block you need.
A professional chef’s most important tool is the set of knives which he/she can use to dice, chop, slice or flay. In order to maintain their professionalism, they need the knives all the time. Therefore, the same way it is important to have a knife set is the same way the block is important as it will ensure your knives’ durability.
Knife block ensures safety of the knife as well as the people in the house from accidents like cuts. In addition, some blocks have sharpeners which means you don’t need to buy another.
Factors to consider before buying a knife block
The material used
Knife blocks are made of 3 major materials which include.
Plastic; this is a very common one though its durability is questioned since it can’t hold many knives.
Wooden; these are preferred when your knives are made of steel or any material that is prone to corrosion because wooden blocks absorb the water from the surfaces. However, ensure you clean it often as it can easily be a hub of bacteria,
Steel; they are the best when it comes to maintenance but they too can’t hold many knives in their slots.
Consider knowing the size and shape of your knives before you purchase the block as this will determine the appropriate knife block for you.
The place to put the block
Where do you intend to put the block? Will it stay on the surface or hang? At the corner or near the wall? Are some of the questions to answer before you choose the block. Measure your space accurately so as to fit it in perfectly.
Although this is not a major factor it still is essential since your knife block will be on the display always. It has to blend perfectly with your kitchen design.
There are knife blocks for almost all prices therefore take your time to conduct a research both online and offline so as to choose the best block for your price range.
The product reviews
1. Shenzhen knives (20 slot bamboo universal knife)
This is a block type made from wood and specifically bamboo veneer and woodcare. It has 19 wider slots allowing you to store knives with wider blades as well as scissors and sharpening rod.
In case you have counter space then this can fit perfectly with your other kitchen gadgets, its angled slots are suitable for safe and easier knives storage.
- The material used is wooden bamboo which is the best material for making a kitchen block.
- It has non-skid rubber feet that protect your counter.
- Its design fits perfectly in your kitchen.
- Horizontal layout offers less wear when storing your blades.
- It occupies a large counter space thus not for those with space limits.
- It doesn’t look Presentable when all slots are filled with knives because the slots are so close.
2. Totally bamboo in drawer knife block
This is a drawer knife block that holds up to 15 knives that is easy to maintain. One can use warm water to clean as well as totally bamboo revitalizing oil. The fact that it is made of bamboo means that it is strong versatile and eco-friendly.
- It comes with a 100%replacement warranty.
- It is very easy to clean.
- The bamboo used is organically grown, no fertilizers and chemicals used for its growth. Therefore, it’s eco-friendly.
- It saves on counter space since it is stored in your drawer.
- It is only for knives making it inappropriate if you have a lot of other cutleries.
3. Cuisinart 17-Piece Artiste Collection Cutlery Knife Block Set
It has a superior stainless steel that is basically for accuracy and precision, its design offers an appealing effect to the eye.
- It offers you a lifetime warranty.
- It offers control and stability with its strong and durable bolster.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain the knives and knife block.
- The block slots are not properly cut.
- The knives stored here are affected by rusting even when washed and dried properly.
4. Kuhn Rikon Vision Clear Slotted Easy-to-Clean Knife Stand
This is a visible swiss design knife block that stores knives in an easy to find way. It can store up to 18 knives of 8 inches long. It doesn’t occupy much space in your kitchen since it is slim and balanced.
- It is very easy to clean and maintain.
- The visibility makes the desired knives easy to find.
- Its innovative design has made it easy to go with other kitchen gadgets.
- Smaller knives don’t fit properly in the slots.
- The plastic lid makes it easy to fall when one removes a knife.
5. Boker Wood Magnetic Knife Block
It has 7 wooden panels containing magnet which makes the knives stick properly. It stores 7 high-quality knives and making them visible on the block.
- It’s very easy to clean.
- It comes in 3 colors allowing you to choose one that fits your kitchen well.
- Your knives are easy to find since they can be seen.
- Only 7 knives fit.
- It occupies space on your counter.
Although all the above items meet the requirements you will agree with me that wooden knife blocks are better for your kitchen. Therefore booker wood magnetic knife block would be my best bet but for the fact that it only holds 7 knives. I would thus recommend Shenzhen universal knife block because it will assure you durability from the material used to make it, ability to carry many knives and a good design that fits perfectly in your kitchen.