A general rule of thumb with children is after 6 months the baby should gradually add complementary food; and after 8 months, you can eat some minced meat.
It is very important to learn to make edible meat that the baby likes to eat.
What is chicken floss?
It should be the dry meat with fluffy texture made of chicken meat. The meat is easy to be chewed even by children.
When you are in China or go to the Asian supermarket, you may always find all kinds of meat floss cakes (buns).
I love these cakes very much, they are usually made using pork floss or chicken floss.
This high protein chicken floss is one of those that is widely enjoyed. The method of making this chicken floss introduced today is also very simple.
- 1) 500 grams of chicken breast
- 2) 1 piece of ginger
- 3) 1 section of green onion
- 4) 1 packet of stewed meat seasoning packet (see tip 3 at the end)
- 5) 5-6 of dried red pepper
- 6) 2 grams of salt
- 7) 1.25ml ground white pepper (¼ tsp)
- 8) 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) of Sichuan peppercorn powder
- 9) 30 grams of light soy sauce
- 10) 20 grams of fine sugar
Step 1. Prepare all Ingredients first.
Step 2. Cut the chicken breast into thin strips
Step 3. Be sure to cut along the texture of the chicken breast, like in the picture below
*and if the texture is cut like this picture below, it will not work.
Step 4. Fill a pot half full of water, add stewed meat seasoning package, dried red pepper, green onion, ginger and sliced chicken breast (you can also put some cooking wine).
Step 5. Boil the water (the foam produced during the boiling process can be scooped off with a sifter).
Step 6. After the water has boiled, turn to low heat, cover the pot and stew for 50 minutes.
Step 7. After stewing, remove the chicken breast and cool it for later use. The water that the chicken breast was cooked in is not needed.
Step 8. After cooling the chicken breast, gently pull it apart with your hand, like in the picture (so cut the chicken breast along texture, if the texture is off, it’s not like this filament.)
Step 9. All of the chicken is pulled apart this way. (This step is important and can take a while, so you can do it whilst watching TV or something to pass the time faster.)
Step 10. Wash the pot and reheat it on low heat. Pour 15 grams of vegetable oil, then add in chicken breast, sugar, salt, light soy sauce, ground white pepper, Sichuan peppercorn powder.
Step 11. Slowly stir and let the chicken breasts dry slowly.
Step 12. Finally, the chicken breast will turn golden yellow and become a loose floss shape. You are now finished!
1. We can adjust the proportion of the ingredients according to our own preferences. If you like sweetness, you can add more sugar. If you like is salty, you can add more salt and light soy sauce.
In addition, you can add chili powder, etc. to make it your favorite flavor. In the process of frying, you can taste it yourself and try to add ingredients.
If you like deep colors, you can change some of the light soy sauce to the dark soy sauce.
2. The procedure of pork floss is similar to this, you can choose tenderloin or hind leg meat. Click here for details.
3. Stewed meat seasoning package is usually sold in Chinese supermarkets; which is usually cinnamon, lanxangia tsaoko, star anise, clove. We can buy these spices one by one, but it is more convenient to buy a prepared package. If you can’t find these materials outside China, you can also omit them.
4. Chicken floss does not need to fry until the moisture is evaporated. So make sure not to cook it too long, or it will taste burnt and will be very tough to chew.