In China, cabbage is a very common vegetable.
I remember eating cabbage for the first time in a restaurant. It was fragrant and crisp. It was so tasty, I wanted seconds. Before long, I had cleaned my plate.
I bought some cabbage and wanted to recreate that delicious flavor, but it was difficult to do, not knowing where to start. After online research and numerous tests and adjustments, I finally learned a great and easy way to get that crispy, healthy treat from my own kitchen.
This dish is not complicated to do. Just follow the simple instructions and you, too, can make delicious cabbage.
Today, our spicy and crispy cabbage is not only appetizing but also refreshing!
- 1) Medium size cabbage: 1/3 only. Cabbages vary greatly in size and variety, and there are subtle differences in the taste and appearance of each variety. They can all be used to make this dish, depending on your personal preference. But more important than the variety or the size, freshness is the most important.
- 2) 2 Dried red peppers
- 3) 1 Star anise
- 4) about 20 Sichuan pepper
- 5) Salt to taste
- 6) A few tablespoons of Peanut Oil
- 7) 1 garlic clove
The material and the production process is not complicated. As long as you are expressing yourself through your cooking, a simple dish can produce amazing flavor!
Step 1: Strip the outermost two leaves of the cabbage and discard it. Then peel the leaves off one by one. Rinse it under the faucet and dry it with a paper towel. Break the dried cabbage leaves by hand into small pieces of 2-3 cm square. Note that as long as the leaves are part of the dish, the rest of the cabbage can be used for other purposes, such as making kimchi.
Step 2: Find a small pan, the smaller the better. Put about 20 Sichuan peppers and 1 star anise in the pan, and tear the two red peppers into several pieces and add it into the pot, then pour in the appropriate amount of peanut oil.
Step 3: Put the pot on the minimum heat of a gas stove. The firepower is also turned to the minimum. Slowly heat it until the smell of pepper and star anise has gone out and there are some small bubbles on the bottom of the pot. Turn off the stove.
Step 4: Whilst you are waiting for the peppers and star anise to infuse, slice the garlic thinly.
Step 5: Take a saucepan (preferably a thick bottom) and preheat for 120 seconds. Then strain the oil to remove the peppers and star anise into that pan.
Step 6: Then throw in the cut garlic pieces. If the pan is warm enough, the garlic pieces will turn golden yellow within a few seconds.
Step 7: Immediately pour the torn cabbage leaf into it, otherwise, the garlic slices will change from golden yellow to brownish black and the taste will become bitter.
Step 8: After the cabbage leaves added, they need to be quickly tossed in with the oil and garlic coated. Because the wok is very hot, and the fry time is short, keep mixing them or the leaves at the bottom will become soft. Once the leaves are shiny and green, taste one and to make sure it is crispy and hot. Once it is ready, remove from heat and add salt to the desired level.
To achieve a crisp and savory effect, there are a few points to note when making this spicy shredded cabbage:
1) The surface of the leaves should be dry to maintain crispiness during heating.
2) The peppers and star anise are for flavoring the oil. They are strained out so you don’t have to pick out the seeds.
3) The pan must be fully warmed up before adding the garlic and cabbage.
4) Pay close attention whilst cooking the cabbage. Once it turns a darker green, it is important to remove from heat so that the leaves remain crispy.
The health benefits of cabbage:
Cabbage has many health benefits. Such as promoting cell health, vitamin C for improved immunity, helps control blood pressure with high amounts of potassium, vitamin K for better digestion and bone health, and vitamin U to prevent ulcers.