Ginger milk pudding is a famous sweet dessert in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province.
I always thought that ginger milk pudding was a magical snack. For me, it was not only a delicious dessert, but also fully satisfying.
When making ginger milk pudding: the better the quality of fresh milk, the higher the protein content, the easier it is to succeed. Actually doing ginger milk pudding is a reaction process.
Ginger contains protease, which reacts with the proteins in the milk. A protein in the milk changes from a soluble state to an insoluble state, which causes the milk to coagulate.
The steps of making ginger milk pudding are very simple. Pour the boiled milk into the ginger and wait for a few minutes. A bowl of hot ginger milk curd is ready.
Of course, there are still a few points to note.
The only ingredients you need are as follow:
- 1) 200 ml Whole milk
- 2) 1 teaspoon (about 5 grams) Fine sugar
- 3) Fresh ginger (will need to yield 8ml of juice)
Step 1: After peeling the ginger, cut it into pieces and put it in a blender to crush it. Or you can grind ginger with a grater. If you don’t have any of these tools, then use a knife to chop into very fine pieces. Ginger was placed on a sieve and rolled with a spoon to squeeze out 8 ml of ginger juice.
Step 2: Pour milk into the pan and add sugar.
Step 3: Simmer at 80 °C. If you do not have a thermometer, then heat until right before the milk begins to foam, then turn off the heat and let set a minute or two.
Step 4: Once the milk cools down a bit to 75°c, stir the ginger juice and immediately add the milk into the bowl with the ginger juice. Wait a few minutes, and you will see it begin to solidify. It’s very neat to see! It should set in about 10 minutes.
1. When making ginger milk pudding, use freshly squeezed fresh ginger juice. If it sits too long, the process may not be successful. If you don’t have a food processor or grater, then make sure to cut the ginger as finely as possible so as to be able to get all of the contents from the ginger.
2. It is best to use fresh, whole milk for this recipe, as skim milk will not have the same reaction.
3. In theory, the optimum temperature for milk solidification is 75°C, but if you do not have a thermometer, you can still be successful, as there is a certain range in temperature that will still work.
4. If the production is successful, the milk will solidify in 5 to 10 minutes. If the milk is still watery after 5 to 10 minutes, there is no need to wait any longer, and it will not solidify. If the production fails, only a bowl of “ginger milk” is obtained.
There are a few reasons why it may not be successful, such as the lack of freshness of the ginger or temperature of the milk.
However, if you fail, do not worry, you can use the following method to try and cannot be remedied: put the cooled ginger milk into the microwave oven, heat for 30 to 40 seconds.
Then remove it and let it sit for a while to see if it will resolidify. Many times it will be remedied successfully, but if it is still unsuccessful… ginger milk is just as good, and you can try again.