There are all kinds of fried rice in China. Whether one sample Yangzhou fried rice, Fujian fried rice, and any of the other many varieties, each kind of fried rice has its own unique culinary characteristics.
Since the dish is called “fried rice”, I believe that many of my friends, myself included, have long had questions about making egg fried rice at home. This is a simple, pure and unpretentious meal.
Yet when one makes it at home, where is the vibrant color of the same dish served in restaurants? And how does the restaurant dish avoid the rice grains sticking together one by one like the homemade version tends to do?
I will now share with you one of my cooking secrets. It is not necessary to use the traditional ingredient of cooking fried rice with overnight rice! Consuming overnight rice is harmful to your health. It is much healthier to cook golden egg fried rice with fresh rice that has just been plucked!
- 6 cups of freshly cooked rice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 2 tablespoons of spicy pickled vegetables
- 15-20 oysters
- 3 sausages
- 10 grams of soy sauce
- 10 grams of vinegar
1. After the rice is cooked, place the 6 cups together in one large container.
2. Crack the 4 eggs separating the yolks only into another individual container. Discard the eggs whites. Stir the egg yolks with chopsticks to smoothen.
3. While the rice is still hot, pour in the egg yolks and add a pinch of salt.
4. Stir the egg yolk and rice to mix thoroughly. Set the rice and egg mixture aside for use.
5. Peel and rinse the green onions. Utilizing both the entire green and white sections of the green onions, dice into small pieces about 1 cm long.
6. Prepare some spicy pickles according to personal preference. Dice 1-2 teaspoon of the spicy pickles into small pieces.
7. Rinse the oysters carefully with water and pat dry.
8. Cut a slide mark every half a centimeter into the sausage casing. Do not open the ends of the casing. Place it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and then remove it. The cooked sausage will burst through the slits. This sausage can be placed on the plate when serving the egg fried rice.
9. Put a proper amount of cooking oil in the wok. Bring oil to high heat.
10. When the temperature of the oil rises high enough to create a slight green smoke on the surface, pour in the rice and egg mixture prepared in Step 4. Continue to flip and stir fry the mixture a few times quickly, evenly coating and heating the egg yolk on the surface of the rice grains. The mixture will become very fragrant.
11. Turn the heat down to medium and continue to stir fry. After about 1 minute of stir frying on medium, the egg yolk coated rice will become granular and will not stick to each other.
12. Stir in the chopped pickles.
13. Add the oysters. Stir in 10 grams of vinegar.
14. Once the stir-fry becomes fragrant with the vinegar scent, pour in soy sauce and sprinkle with chopped green onions. Continue to fry.
15. After the green onion cook to translucency, turn off the heat. The egg fried rice is now ready with its full body aroma and deep golden color.
16. You can mold the rice by firmly pressing it into any small container then releasing it onto a dish upside down. The microwave-heated sausage can also be placed on the dish when serving.
1. It is suggested in most recipes for this dish, to use overnight rice to keep the fried rice grains from sticking together. I think eating rice left overnight is too unhealthy. Newly plucked rice can also be used too and, properly prepared, will not stick together. One of the secrets to obtaining this desired effect is to add the egg yolks when the rice is still hot. The egg yolk easily coats the hot rice grains. This procedure also gives the fried rice its golden color throughout the whole dish.
2. When you coat the rice with the egg yolk, you must add a pinch of salt. Adding salt at this stage eliminates the need to add it later in the recipe. The egg yolk coating on the rice facilitates an even distribution of the salt through-out the rice as well.
3. Why is rice cooked on a high temperature so fragrant? My method is to pour the egg yolk coated rice into the oil once the hot oil emits a sight surface smoke. Once the rice has been added to the oil, stir fry a few times quickly to more evenly coat and cook the egg yolk on the surface of the rice grain. Afterwards, turn the heat down to medium and continue to stir fry. Stir frying in this method produces an egg fried rice that is especially fragrant.