Hot and crispy potato stir-fry is one of the most common home cooked meals on the Chinese family table.
Potatoes are rich in nutrients, as well as improving gastrointestinal function and preventing hypertension. Potatoes are also the most commonly found items in every home. A dish of hot and crispy potatoes and a bowl of rice are enough to make one of my favorite delicious meals!
It is very easy to do this dish properly, and practice on your knife skills as well. Potatoes are universal ingredients, and this is the most common way to eat it in China. Everyone can do it, but the key is to get the cut right for a perfectly crispy dish.
I shared the ultra-detailed steps and exchanged ideas to get the perfect texture and flavor. There are a few small points that are key to guaranteeing taste.
Let’s take a look at the detailed steps!
- 1) 2 Potatoes
- 2) 2 Fresh green chillies
- 3) 2 Dried red chillies
- 4) 3 Pickled chillies (you can use Sichuan peppercorns)
- 1) A few tablespoons of White vinegar
- 2) Salt to taste
- 3) Cooking oil (enough to stir fry)
Step 1: Potatoes are washed, peeled and cut length-wise into even slices. (I personally prefer to use a knife, because it brings out a better flavor, but you can also grate them. In which case, you can skip step 2.)
Step 2: Spread the potato slices out flat, and begin to cut into strips.
Step 3: Fill a bowl with water and gently toss to rinse off excess starch, this will make the potatoes crispier.
Step 4: After a few minutes of rinsing, empty the water, refill and repeat the process.
Step 5: Slice all the peppers thinly. If you would like it to be less spicy, you can remove all the seeds.
Step 6: Fill a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes, add the white vinegar, bring to a boil, add the potatoes, and boil for a few minutes. This will make the potatoes crispier also.
Step 7: Add the appropriate amount of oil into the pan and pour in three types of chilli peppers. Stir in the potatoes and toss together.
Step 8: Add salt, mix together. (Don’t stir-fry for too long, or the potatoes will become mushy. If you like a little more of an acidic taste, drizzle a small amount of vinegar along the side of the pot and toss together)
Step 9: After everything is tossed and cooked to your liking, it is ready to serve!
Want more Chinese Stir Fry Recipe?
Tips to have a crunchy and delicious texture
1. Medium-sized, oval potatoes (russet) are easier to cut and have even slices.
2. Keep in mind that if the potatoes are green or black inside, do not eat.
3. Drizzle vinegar along the side of the pot if you want a more acidic taste, it will be more mellow and full of flavor than directly on top of the potatoes.
4. The cut potato is washed with cold water, which can prevent it from becoming black, and it can keep it tender and crisp when fried.
5. You can also add light soy sauce, also very delicious.
6. When cutting the potatoes, you can first cut a small part off the bottom of the whole potato, so that they can stand on the table more stably, making it easier to slice. Cutting them by hand is better than the grater, as the pieces will cook more uniformly.
7. Depending on how crisp or soft you want it to turn out is how long you cook it. The longer you cook the potatoes, the softer they will be, but be careful not to turn them to mush.