Sweet pickled garlic is a traditional snack in northern China. It is rich in protein, healthy fats, sugar, vitamins and various amino acids, and many other nutrients required by the body.
It has the functions of strengthening the body’s physiology, promoting metabolism and delaying aging.
Garlic is also a natural bactericidal agent, which has good inhibition and killing effects on various cocci, bacilli, viruses, amoeba and aphids. It also has a cosmetic effect of lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, lipoproteins, lowering blood sugar, and nourishing the skin.
In daily life, garlic is a must-have for families and restaurants in China, and many Chinese people prefer sweet pickled garlic.
In this recipe, I used white sugar and brown sugar, which is very simple to use.
There are only a small handful of ingredients on this recipe, and very few steps, so let’s get started!
- 1) 7 heads of fresh garlic (about 420 grams after peeling)
- 2) 300 grams of white rice vinegar
- 3) 200 grams of white sugar or brown sugar
- 4) 800 grams of water
- 5) 5 grams of salt
how to make pickled garlic:
Step 1. Peel the outer-most layer of skin on the garlic.
Step 2. Cut the roots.
Step 3. Rinse them, and let them soak in the 800g of water and 5g salt brine for a day
Step 4. Soaked garlic is placed in a strainer head down, dry for more than half a day until dry.
Step 5. Mix vinegar and sugar.
Step 6. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
Step 7. The jar is cleaned, let to dry, and the garlic is placed inside.
Step 8. Pour the vinegar and sugar into the jar.
Step 9. Seal the jar and let set for at least 15 days.
1. Soak the garlic with light salt water, not only can it be better disinfected, but also can remove the spicy taste of garlic.
2. If you want to, you can change the sugar into brown sugar, the two tastes are good, the ratio of sugar and vinegar can also be changed according to your own preferences. I give the same amount of brown sugar as white sugar, but because the sweetness of brown sugar is not as sweet. If you use brown sugar, you can increase the proportion of sugar according to your preference.
3. It is not recommended to put the garlic in the refrigerator. I once tried to put the garlic in the refrigerator; after a month, the garlic is still very spicy, and then take it out of the refrigerator and put it at room temperature for about 10 days so it is not so spicy. Wait until the garlic is pickled to your favorite taste and then store in the refrigerator.
4. If the garlic cannot be fully submerged, it is best to open up the jar once a day and stir a little bit so that it pickles evenly.
5. You can also peel off the individual garlic cloves (retain the outer skin), this can save a lot of space and you can do more garlic at once.